Fitness Carter

Monday, October 28, 2013

Fitness Profile: Karen Lindsey-Lloyd thrives on fitness - Dallas Morning News

Karen Lindsey-Lloyd went from staying in the back row at step-aerobics classes to being asked to teach them. The Wisconsin native, who moved to Dallas in April, has also taught spin and kickboxing classes. She added running to her regimen when she was in her 30s (she’s now “over 45,” she says) and has completed four half-marathons and two Chicago Marathons.


How and why I got into fitness: I initially started exercising to lose weight. I stayed in the back row during step-aerobics classes at the Y. After about six months, some great fitness instructors encouraged me to teach as I became more body aware and confident.


Typical week of workouts: I generally run five days a week. Twice a week, I work my upper body; two days, lower body. I also do core and abs work five days a week, stretch every day, and rest one day a week.


If I had just 30 minutes to exercise, I would: Run 20 minutes and do an abs workout for 10.


Favorite healthy food: Hummus or raw, cold-pressed juices.


Favorite indulgence: Chocolate. It’s not just for breakfast anymore!


Proudest fitness moment: Finishing the 2012 Chicago Marathon (my second time to complete it).


Biggest obstacle to fitness: Travel and a demanding job, plus training appropriately and allowing for recovery as I get older.


Fitness goals: I’m training for the Dallas half-marathon in December, which will be my first race as a Dallas resident!


What I’d tell someone who wants to follow my routine: Eat clean, train dirty. Seriously … train with your personal goals in mind. Make sure you understand what’s needed for your age and body. Fitness is a lifestyle, not an event. I have coined a phrase: “Intentional movement matters, every day!”


What my workout says about me: It’s never too late to set another goal. Never give up. Never lose hope.


You don’t have to train for marathons to be a Fitness Profile. Nominate someone at lgarcia@dallasnews.com


No comments :

Post a Comment