Fitness Carter

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Five Houstonians share their fitness routines that work - Houston Chronicle

Every year, many of us resolve to get in better shape, lose weight and get stronger. It's great to set goals, but it takes commitment, consistency and, perhaps most of all, a passion for exercise. In that vein, we asked a few Houston faces who have discovered their own fitness passion to share their inspiring regimens.


Lauren Anderson Education outreach associate for the Houston Ballet[1]


1Workout routine: German volume training at 24 Hour Fitness in Rice Village, which consists of 10 sets of 10 reps of push and pull exercises. Weight ranges 30-50 pounds on machines, 8-10 pounds free weights.


1How often: Three times a week.


1The appeal: "As a ballerina, I wasn't use to going to gym. I just took dance classes - I was very intimidated by the gym, and I was a ballet snob. But I've had to fight being really muscular my entire dance career. Now, I'm embracing my muscles and this workout helps me release stress. I do the exercises to music. It's like dance class in the gym."


1The results: "When you train like an Olympian for 30 years, your body responds in the gym, so I do have an edge. Now, I'm a lot leaner, stronger and definitely more muscular."


12014 goal: Keep improving.


Lauren Levicki Vice president, Dress for Success[2] Houston


1Workout routine: Polo at Houston Polo Club[3] . (Also, 30-40 minute sessions on an elliptical or treadmill several times a week, and a strength-training session with fitness trainer Deon Johnson[4] once a week.)


1How often: Polo twice a week.


1The appeal: "I started riding horses in 2012, and then began playing polo. It works out an entirely different muscle type than anything I've done. It's fun to be involved in a team sport, too. I was the most novice rider when I started, but now I can hit a polo ball at a canter every once in a while. It's also a sport when you can't have your phone or be distracted. It's a good way to clear my mind."


1The results: "I've developed inner thigh and leg strength and it works my core because of the turning on the horse."


12014 goal: Doing the half marathon with team Dress for Success Houston.


D'Artagnan Bebel[5] Vice president and general manager of KRIV Fox 26


1Workout routine: Power Plate. (Also, 30 minute sessions on an elliptical three times a week, using a heart rate monitor. Tennis once a week. Pilates with wife, Angela, once a week at Pilates Place of The Woodlands.)


1How often: 30-50 minute sessions using the Power Plate three to four times a week at home.


1The appeal: "I started using Power Plate during rehab with a tennis injury several years ago and got hooked. It uses vibration technology that shakes up and down and sideways. You can use it for toning muscles and stretching like yoga. It also gives a great aerobic workout."


1The results: "My flexibility has improved dramatically. I'm a weekend warrior and play golf and tennis on the weekends. Now, my ability to swing a golf club is so much sweeter and I can hit the ball farther. I have less aches and pains, I'm more limber, more flexible and feel much better."


12014 goal: "I want to strengthen my core, increase my flexibility, lose five pounds and stay toned. Really, I want to be like a bottle of fine wine that gets better with age."



References



  1. ^ Houston Ballet (www.chron.com)

  2. ^ Dress for Success (www.chron.com)

  3. ^ Houston Polo Club (www.chron.com)

  4. ^ Deon Johnson (www.chron.com)

  5. ^ D'Artagnan Bebel (www.chron.com)



No comments :

Post a Comment