Fitness Carter

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Fitness profile: Maria Z. Ortiz of Sinking Spring - Reading Eagle

Age: 44.

Address: Reading.



Occupation:
Assembler with Alcon Manufacturing, Sinking Spring.



When and why you began to exercise:
I started 11 years ago because I wanted to feel better about myself, because I didn't like the way I looked. After I started exercising, I met my husband at the gym. He competed in bodybuilding, and I started training with him. When you first go to the gym, you don't necessarily know what you're doing on the machines. He helped me develop a routine.


Type of exercise you do: Most of the time I do weight training. I work out every day, especially now that I'm competing as well. When you are training for competitions, you cannot miss any workouts, because every day you train a different part of your body, and you have to do it in combination with cardio. I try to work out for two and a half hours when I'm in training. It takes discipline, but it's my hobby, it's what I like.


Hardest hurdle to overcome: The hardest hurdle is training for my competitions, because of the strict diet you have to follow for weeks and weeks. You have to be training even if you're tired, even if you're sick. You have to push yourself. You have to eat the same thing every day, over and over. For example, in the morning I have to eat three eggs every day and then at 8:30 3 ounces of tilapia and spinach, then at midday, the same thing, then in the afternoon, the same thing. And I have to try to drink at least 2 gallons of water a day. Your body is telling you to eat sweets or carbohydrates, but you can't do it. If you want to look cut for competitions, that's how you do it. Plus when I get really into training, I have to do two hours of cardio a day.


Biggest health or fitness achievement: Being healthy, and winning in my first competition a few weeks ago in Allentown. I won the first place open in the master's division. Amazing for my first competition. I did really work hard for it. I pushed myself, even when I had the flu while I was training, I kept pushing myself.


How exercise helps you: It changed my life, and changed my eating habits. It keeps me fit and healthy and makes me eat healthy most of the time.


Tips for others: Age doesn't matter for exercise. That's just a number. I think everybody should exercise to keep in shape and keep healthy. It's not easy, but don't quit.


- Compiled by Elizabeth Giorgi


Once a week Lifestyle will profile a person who has made exercise a part of his or her life. If you know someone who enjoys being physically active, write to Fitness profile, Reading Eagle Company, P.O. Box 582, Reading, PA 19603, or email life@readingeagle.com. Include the person's name, address, email address and telephone number and why you think he or she should be profiled.


No comments :

Post a Comment